As of 1st April 2012, UK Online Centres will be providing specialist help and support to people who have a disability, learning difficulties or health problems.
Go On Gold is a national campaign to raise awareness about the barriers faced by disabled people in accessing computers and the Internet, and to help rempove those barriers. The website features regular news updates, video’s and resources to help disabled people get online.
The Internet and other forms of modern communication technology can help provide support to people with a wide range of disabilities in many ways. Below are some links to websites we have discovered which may be useful to people living with a physical or mental disability.
- NHS Choices- This website includes the latest health news stories, a search engine that lets you know which health services are near you and over 100 online health tools.
- AbilityNet- They are a national charity helping disabled adults and children use computers and the Internet by adapting and adjusting their technology.
- BridgingApps- Is a volunteer community of parents, therapists, doctors, and teachers who share information on how we are using the iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch and Android devices with people who have special needs.
- Codaonline- This website is designed to help people with a learning disability to find a job. It can also help employers to learn more about employing someone with a learning disability. It includes a very useful tool to help people easily create their own CV.
- Healthtalkonline- an award-winning charity website, lets you share in other people’s experiences of health and illness.
- Radar National Key Scheme App- Radar (The Royal Association for Disability Rights) are pleased to have released an iPhone app – the Radar National Key Scheme app to provide up-to-date information on 9,000 accessible toilet facilities in the UK.
- London Access App- This app is designed to be used as a source of information for those who have a specific user needs that has previously restricted the places they can go and visit in London
- Assessment of Mental Capacity Audit Tool- is a simple online tool to help staff and others evaluate, reflect and learn about an assessment of mental capacity they have done.
- Diabetes UK- On this section of their website you will find a one-stop shop to their online interactive tools aimed at giving you instant information about diabetes and information relating to the condition.
If you know of any other useful online resources which may benefit people living with a physical or mental disability then please let us know!